Sunscreen is a necessisity item for all families. It’s not only recommended that each persons apply sunscreen during the summer months, but research dermatologists suggest that you should apply it anytime you go outside including the colder seasons.
Sunscreen is a huge expensive if you honestly apply and use as it is recommended for all families. So this year, I decided that I was not going to spend an arm and a leg on sunscreen to protect my family from skin cancer. It’s also my first summer as a single mom, so it’s even more important that I’m frugal.
Here are the TOP 5 Ways to Save on Sunscreen
- SPF 50 is sufficient. Did you know that there isn’t any sun protection that protects more than SPF 50? So don’t spend the extra money on SPF that is greater than 50. It’s pointless.
- Family sunscreen. Buy one bottle for the family. You don’t need to buy the baby sunscreen that costs you more money just for having the word, baby on it. Just be careful not to get the sunscreen in your child’s eyes. Let’s be honest here. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t try to avoid getting sunscreen in their kid’s eyes regardless of the type of sunscreen it is.
- Check prices. Always check the unit prices. Often the smaller sizes are less expensive than the larger quantity. Also, store brands are typically less expensive than brand names. I buy sunscreen at the dollar store. I stock up and make sure the date is not expired.
- Spray Inside. Typically the spray on sunscreen is more expensive. Yes, I totally get it. It’s so much easier to apply the spray on sunscreen especially if you have children. However, always make sure you spray it on inside to avoid wasting sunscreen due to the wind. I can’t tell you how many times I have done this myself. So make a note to your self, spraying sunscreen outside wastes a ridiculously amount of sunscreen. Just don’t do it.
- Leave in universal location. I have been notorious for buying additional sunscreen because we can’t seem to locate the other additional bottles we purchased. There’s nothing more annoying than to have 10 bottles of sunscreen with less than a quarter of the content in it. Be sure to leave it in a place where everyone will know where to find it. I leave the sunscreen in a beach bag that is always ready to grab and go.
Here are some additional tips regarding sunscreen.
- Make sure your sunscreen has UVA and UVB protection.
- Make sure you reapply every 2 hours or after you get wet or sweat.
- Never leave sunscreen in extreme temperatures, such as, a car because it loses it’s protection.
These tips are simple enough for you to implement to save you a few bucks this season, don’t you think? I am still amazed at the high prices of sunscreen, but it’s just one of those products that we can’t live without. And don’t forget to stay hydrated and follow these simple tips when you and your family go outisde.
Do you have any sunscreen tips to add to the list?
I can get sunscreen at a good price by using the store coupons! I have saved a lot of money on sunscreen because I enter giveaways that have sunscreen as the prize.