Whether you are a single mom by choice or you are grieving those ugly divorce papers, being a single mom is plain out unpredictable. I have learned to actively change the things I can, and pray over the things I absolutely have no control over.
A lot of times, I’m praying because I don’t have control over my situation. It’s just the way it is.
But one thing is true……..
You are not alone.
You have a heavenly father that loves you more than any man could ever possibly adore you. And guess what? He won’t ever forsake you.
I encourage you to lean on the Lord everyday because He has this single mom thing covered for you.
That alone gives me an enormous amount of comfort just knowing He wants me to give this burden to Him. It’s tough!
Here are 7 Tips That I Believe EVERY Single Mom Needs to Know
- You Can Do This. You are much stronger than you think. Yes, you will have your ups and downs, but this hardship situation will make you a stronger and better woman in the long run. You will be ministering to others because God uses all situations for His glory including yours!
- You Will Mess Up. I mess up every day. I have lashed out to my children when I was tired many times. I have learned to say sorry and ask for forgiveness daily with my children. Children need to see that you are not perfect, but you do know how to ask for repentance. This seems to be a lost concept today.
- They Need Their Father. I’ll be honest. I’m not crazy about this, but it’s the honest truth. My children need a relationship with their Dad. They need love and guidance from him. I have made it known to my children that it’s important to me that they have a bond with their father. I don’t want them to feel guilty about this because their visits with him makes them happy. And I want my children to be happy.
- Take Care of Yourself. Get plenty of sleep, exercise, and oil yourself up baby. You can’t take care your children, if you are not well. This needs to be TOP priority. Just do it! Enjoy reading everyday. It’s the highlight of my day.
- Quality Time is Priority. Your kids want you to spend time with them. They will remember those precious memories, not the latest gadget that their father bought them. So cross that one-off your list. Don’t play the material game with your husband. Let him spend the money on stupid things. You can fruitfully spend your money and time on memories. So breathe now.
- Simplify Your Life. You need to cut out all your activities that are causing you stress and not allowing you to eat dinner as a family to a minimum. Your kids need you to listen to them daily about their day. Pick 1 or 2 activities and concentrate on them. You can always go back to volunteering after your life has settled down. Running your children all over town every evening is not healthy for anyone.
- You Need Support. You need some good listeners. Call your church and find a mentor. There are local groups if you don’t have any family support. You don’t need someone bashing your ex, but someone who just wants to listen and love you. Someday you will be this person for someone else. He will use you!
We will experience highs and lows, but I can’t wait to see God’s plans for each of our futures. He’s had this all figured out before we were formed in our mother’s womb. He’s knows this single mom thing is hard and scary, but He also never intended us to do it alone.
You are loved my friend!
Do you have any helpful tips that single moms need to know?