Being a large homeschool family, going out to eat costs our family an arm and a leg! Literally!
It’s a rare occasion, but we try to be frugal while still enjoying our time out together.
Here are 10 Ways We Save at Restaurants!
- Drink Water – soft drinks are terribly expensive. Ask for lemon or lime to spruce up your ice water. I always bring my peppermint oil.
- Skip Appetizers and Desserts – if you must eat a dessert then eat ice cream when you get home. Chances are you won’t want the extra calories after all.
- Be Aware of the Restaurant Specials – always ask what the special is for that day. It usually is always less expensive.
- Kids Eat Free – find out what days kids eat free at all your favorite restaurants.
- Bring a Coupon – check restaurant.com or go directly to the restaurants website or facebook page before deciding on where to dine.
- Combine Coupons and Daily Specials – for example if you have a kids eat free coupon then order the special for even more savings.
- Share a Meal – always ask your server ahead of time, some restaurants have stipulations. Split a dessert if you are both still hungry.
- Avoid Tipping at times- go to a restaurant that serves quality food, such as, Chipotle’s, Panera Bread, or Quiznos where you order your food at the counter. (Before you send me any hate mail, I strongly believe in tipping your server, but there are times as these that I don’t think it is necessary)
- Go out to lunch – lunch items are always less expensive than dinner entrees.
- Restaurant Budget – use the envelope system while spending only the cash that is available. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Also, it will help you be more conscious of what you are ordering.
I hope some of these tips will help your family save while still experiencing an enjoyable dining experience.
What tips do you have to share with my readers?