As a homeschool mother of 6 children, math was always the biggest struggle in our homeschool journey. Three out of six of my children just GET MATH, and the other three require extra assistance.
I grew up doing fair in math, but have absolutely no understanding of the subject. I had an excellent memory in my younger days, so it was easy for me to memorize the rules. The only requirement was to memorize multiplication.
Needless to say, I want more for my children.
What I look for in a Math Curriculum Homeschool Program
In the past, four of my children excelled in the Math Mammoth Math Curriculum including my biggest math struggler.
Math Mammoth Light Blue Series constitutes a full elementary mathematics curriculum for grades 1-7A. Math Mammoth Blue Series provides a series that concentrates on a few topics only, such as addition & subtraction, multiplication, clock, fractions, division, geometry, etc.
The Blue series books have the SAME lessons as what you find in the Light Blue. The two series have practically the same lessons, just organized differently:
The Light Blue series has ‘extras’, such as tests, cumulative reviews, and the worksheet makers. Plus, most people do want the grade-level series since it’s easier to plan the school year. People use the topical books from the Blue series for a multitude of purposes, such as to fill in gaps or to supplement some other math curriculum. Some (not many) do use the Blue books also as their only math curriculum.
I love how the author, Maria Miller, designed her products to meet every family’s needs whether you homeschool or your child needs extra practice in a certain topic.
What Makes Math Mammoth A Success
- It is mastery oriented, concentrating fairly long on one topic, with few topics per grade;
- It focuses on conceptual understanding.
- Visual models and exercises are used a lot.
- The curriculum emphasizes mental math and number sense.
- It is nearly self-teaching for many children, since the explanations of concepts are found in the student worktext. Thus it requires little preparation time from the teacher.
We have used both series. My older son worked through the Light Blue Series and my younger sons completed the Blue Series with no complaints.
What I love about the Math Mammoth Program:
- It’s very affordable for all families.
- It’s non-consumable – I can use it for each child and I don’t have to purchase the same curriculum over and over again.
- It requires no planning for mom. (Can I hear an AMEN)
- It uses visuals that are not too distracting for my ADD children.
- It uses thought-provoking word problems in almost every lesson that the children can easily relate to.
- It reinforces math facts regularly.
- Uses many charts making the lessons interesting
- Puzzle Corners are encouraged in lessons as a challenge – my son’s favorite part of the curriculum.
My absolute favorite aspect of Math Mammoth is that it teaches several mental math strategies to help students with learning of math facts. The curriculum emphasizes number sense: the ability to break numbers apart and use them flexibly in mental calculations (such as calculating 5 x 27 as 5 x 20 and 5 x 7 or calculating 26 + 19 as 26 + 20, then subtract 1.) This ability has been proven to be the main factor of ensuring students are successful later when studying algebra.
I wish I would have learned these shortcuts in my elementary years.
How Math Mammoth Worked for Us
Each child had their own 3 ring binder with their printed math curriculum. I marked the pages with a simple M, Tu, etc. in the beginning of the week. I went over the instructions if needed, but most of the time the lesson had easy to understand instructions and they didn’t need my assistance. I graded their work daily at the end of their math time. And we repeated the next day. Simple and effective for our family.
It worked well for our family because the children knew what to do and what I expected. It made math time enjoyable and less hectic.
Try Math Mammoth for FREE
You can go to Math Mammoth and download over 300 sample pages, 3 FREE Mammoth books, videos, and an online assessment test. There is an enormous amount of freebies and math information on their website. It’s a great resource for parents.
Hurry, Want Math Mammoth for a Discount?
Take 25% off of your entire order at Math Mammoth/Comecero website (downloads and CDs).
Use coupon code: 59T4-3W3V-Z67H
Coupon code expires February 15, 2017.
Math Mammoth wants one of Blessed Beyond a Doubt’s readers to win the entire Light Blue Series (DOWNLOAD version). This is a 175.00 retail value. I will be picking a random winner on January 16th at 12am. Winner will be contacted via email and must respond within 48 hours or another winner will be picked. All entries will be verified.
I bet you didn’t know picking a math curriculum homeschool version could be so easy.