The library is one of my very favorite places! I love the smell and colors of the books, the quiet whispers, the fun of browsing through the world at my fingertips. I always feel like I am on a bit of a treasure hunt. We try to go exploring at the library once a week.
Did you know that most libraries offer much, much more than just books? I spent some time on my library’s website and was quite surprised at what I found! I made a library scavenger hunt that you and your kiddos can use to do a little detective work at your library. You can download it at the end of this post.
We’ll start with the easy stuff. Most libraries will have this list:
You’ll have to look a little closer to find these:
- private study rooms
- computer for games – usually in the kid section
- tax forms – might only be out at tax time
- community bulletin board – free advertising, so bring your business card or flyer
Check the library website to see if you get free access to these digital products:
- ebook library
- digital music downloads
- small business center
You might find some educational resources:
- activity kits – themed books, puzzles, videos, printables in a portable kit
- sheet music
- reading & homework help – our library lets kids read to a dog (a real one!)
- SAT/ACT practice tests
- genealogy department – try the main library of the nearest big city
- classes – geneology, technology, ASL for babies & adults, poetry, ESL
- passes or tickets to local museums
Bored kids? Get them involved in library activities:
- volunteer work – usually for teens & older
- used book sales – once or twice a year
- video game tournament
- lego club
- reading clubs/contests
- weekly activities – storytime, crafts, science club, game night
- guest speakers – historians, authors, community leaders, musicians
Print out a library scavenger hunt and take it along on your next trip to the library. Maybe you will find a hidden treasure trove of valuable resources!
–->>–>> DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE LIBRARY SCAVENGER HUNT <<–<<–
What have you found in YOUR library?