This is a sponsored post written on behalf of Swiffer. All opinions are 100% my very own.
Adding a furry or feathered friend to your household can be an exciting idea. Some of the bigger perks: Pets can boost self-esteem and lower stress for everyone in the family, and they can teach your little one a lot about love.
Not to mention, pets can teach your child responsibility.
9 Things to Think About before Adding a Family Pet
- Assess your child’s behavior when deciding on a pet. If your child is responsible with school work and is a self-starter then he may be ready for a pet.
- Some pets can be dangerous, even if you buy them at a pet store. Some reptiles can transmit salmonella, dogs and cats can spread infections, and ferrets bite, so consider each pet carefully before purchasing.
- Consider how much time it will take to properly care for the pet. Some dogs shed and require constant grooming. Make sure you research the type of breed you’re considering adopting.
- Dogs need love and nurturing. One of a dog’s basic needs is to have structure and discipline, so make training a priority. Does your family have time to train a dog?
- Costs for pets extend beyond food and toys. Cats are generally less expensive to care for than a dog. Call your local vet to find out what a yearly checkup will cost you.
- Can you have a dog in an apartment? It’s important that you match the dog to your home. Larger dogs need more space, whereas smaller dogs may be well-suited for an apartment and smaller yard.
- Create a list of pet-related chores. Write these tasks on a chore chart and assign each to a member of the family. Are family members familiar with their pet chore responisbility?
- Decide on house rules for the pet before you bring it home. New pet owners should decide on rules before the new pet comes home so that everyone in the family knows what to expect.
- Make Your Home Pet-Friendly. Did you know that chewing gum can be deadly for dogs, or that ibuprofen is toxic to cats? It is highly important to go through your home now, before you bring a new pet home, to seek out hazards and get them out of the house.
After all, shed happens.
You Might Like…
How I get my children to clean and you can too!
Win a Swiffer Sweeper Starter Kit, Swiffer WetJet Starter Kit, and Swiffer 360 Dusters!
Leave a comment below with your email and favorite Swiffer Product. I will be picking a random winner on Sunday, June 17th.
Are you planning on adopting a pet?