TOP 9 Reasons Raising Chickens is a GREAT idea for your Family
Chickens are easy, inexpensive pets when compared to most other family pets. They require about 1 bag of Layer feed that usually lasts about a month for most backyard flocks. The maintenance is at a minimum and children can certainly help with the chore.
- Tasty– there is nothing better than fresh farm eggs. Once you’ve tasted fresh eggs, you will cringe at the thought of purchasing grocery store eggs.
- Educational – raising chickens from the early chick stage is so exciting for children. Chickens make great 4H projects.
- FREE Organic Fertilizer – chicken poop has great levels of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. Just place in your compost pile.
- 1/3 the Cholesterol of store-bought eggs
- 2/3 more vitamin A
- 1/4 less saturated fat
- 2 times the amount of Omega 3 fatty acids
- 3 times the amount of Vitamin E
- 7 times more Beta Carotene
- Entertaining – I enjoy watching our chickens hunt grasshoppers while sitting on our porch. The children find them funny, also. It’s quite relaxing.
- High Demand – everyone wants to buy fresh farm eggs!
- Table Scraps – they love veggie and fruit peelings. No more feeling guilty throwing excess amounts of scraps in the garbage.
- Natural Pest Control – they love crickets, grasshoppers, slugs, and garden snails that damage common landscaping.
- Great Pets – chickens are very affectionate and mature quicker than most pets. My children name the chickens and actually hold them in their arms. It’s amusing to me.
These are just a few benefits of raising chickens in your backyard. We get about 2 dozens eggs a day. We donate eggs to the local food pantry and share with a few close friends and family.
Our chickens are FREE range except during the evening hours.
Is raising chickens something your family has been pondering?
Check out one of my crock pot recipes, egg casserole!