Leaving the home he grew up in. Treasuring the home like a member of the family.
Pondering the universal nature of such thoughts.
These are just a few of the themes Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. explores in The Poet at the Breakfast Table. Today’s Teachable Timeline roundup and copywork freebie takes us to 1894 and shares several Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. quotes, excerpted from this particular work.
Did you know trivia: Did you know that Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., notable author, was the father of the jurist and Justice of the Supreme Court Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr?
Teachable Timeline 1894
- January 23, 1894: Shorthand record of 250 words per minute for 10 minutes is set by G.W. Bunbury of Dublin. Learn a little about the history of shorthand and see some examples of passages written in shorthand.
- January 27, 1894: First college basketball game is played. Can you tell us who the two teams were and who won? Leave us a note in the comments! You can teach your child to play basketball or have some fun with these basketball practice drills.
- May 30, 1894: Bobby Lowe becomes the first to hit four home runs in a single baseball game. Enjoy some free baseball-themed writing prompts!
- June 23-24, 1894: The International Olympic Committee is founded (January 23) and makes the decision to hold modern Olympics every four years (January 24). Enjoy this 20-day unit study that includes instructions on how to use it in Olympic and non-Olympic years. Art, home economics, math, science and health, history, geography, English, writing, and spelling activities incorporate dozens of sports. Plus, discover amazing Olympic and Paralympic trivia tidbits along the way! 32 pages total. Free ONLY to Blessed Beyond a Doubt readers through this CurrClick link between October 1-31, 2014.
- October 7, 1894: Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., passes away.
Have FUN with these Oliver Wendell Holmes quotes and copywork.