Homeschooling is a wonderful way to stay connected to your children while helping them become well-rounded adults and our future leaders. It offers you the opportunity to tailor your children’s education to suit your children, your lifestyle, and your beliefs. Being able to train my children to think from a biblical worldview is one of the greatest benefits of homeschooling.
I have listed 10 things that I wished I knew before we started homeschooling 9 years ago. The internet was fairly new and I really did not have any support except for a few local friends. And you know who you are!
The TOP 10 Steps to Homeschooling
- Pray, Pray, and Pray daily
- Create an Education Mission Statement – what are your goals for your homeschool
- Familiarize yourself with your state’s guidelines
- Determine Your Home Education Style – really spend time on researching the different approaches that suit you and your children’s learning style
- Research the different curriculum – look on line, read reviews, and go to homeschool conventions, and used curriculum stores to try to actually get your hands on it. Smell it! And make sure you love it!
- Utilize FREE homeschool resources and buy used if possible
- Start planning your homeschool planning – lots of FREE homeschool planners
- Get involved in a local homeschool group – you need a support group and scheduled field trips to keep your sanity! Trust ME!
- Join several homeschool support groups on-line – take advantage of this! The support on-line is wonderful!
- Get the grade-level thing out of your head – I can’t stress this enough! Don’t try to mimic the public school. Go at your student’s pace or you will drown. Use the recommendations as a guide not a master.
Please feel free to ask me any questions about our homeschool journey. I am not an expert by any means, but might be able to steer you in the right direction. Please join our facebook community where we discuss homeschool and many other topics that inspires the homeschool mom.