So, let’s get the summer reading bingo started.
I just finished another school year! It was a challenging year, as when we left for Spring Break, no one expected that we would not return to school for the remainder of the year. We had to quickly adjust to distance learning through Zoom meetings and other scholastic websites. Some of my students really excelled through distance learning, and I was very sad when we said good-bye during my last Zoom meeting with my students.
As many of you know I taught 5th grade Reading and Social Studies this past year, and I am a true bibliophile. I love to escape into a good book, and I want to pass that love of reading onto my children and students. Therefore, I came up with a Summer Reading Bingo Challenge to encourage your child(ren) to read this summer.
The basis of the summer reading challenge is to get your child to read 8 books this summer. I have provided you with three-game boards with pre-selected books based on your child’s reading level and age. I have also provided a reading bingo blank game board in which you and your child can choose what books to read.
I have chosen the following books for the Summer Reading Bingo based on age range:
Summer Reading Bingo Books Ages 6-7:
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, by Mo Willems
- Don’t Feed the Bear, by Kathleen Doherty
- Mother Bruce, by Ryan T. Higgins
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, by Judith Viorst
- Amelia Bedelia, by Peggy Parish
- Flat Stanley, by Jeff Brown
- Today I Will Fly!, by Mo Willems
Summer Reading Bingo Books Ages 8-9:
- Charlotte’s Web, by E.B. White
- The Boxcar Children, by Gertrude Chandler Warner
- Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson
- The BFG, by Roald Dahl
- Harriet the Spy, by Louise Fitzhugh
- Nate the Great, by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat
- The Tale of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo
- The Mouse and the Motorcycle, by Beverly Cleary
Summer Reading Bingo Books for Ages 10-12:
- A Series of Unfortunate Events, by Lemony Snicket
- Holes, by Louis Sachar
- Where the Red Fern Grows, by Wilson Rawls
- Wonder, by R.J. Palacio
- Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, by Judy Blume
- Bunnicula, by Deborah & James Howe
- A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle
Summer Reading Books for Ages 13 and up:
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, by J.K. Rowling
- Lord of the Flies, by William Golding
- Animal Farm, by George Orwell
- Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
- Anne Frank, Diary of a Young Girl, by Anne Frank
- The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak
- The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
As an incentive to encourage your child to complete the reading bingo book challenge this summer, we suggest that you come up with a creative prize to award your child for reading all 8 books. Be creative! It can be anything from a new book of your child’s choice to a free Redbox movie night, to literally anything.
We created these free reading book bingo printables for our email subscribers. Please fill out the form below and you will instantly receive the PDF via email. Please check your spam folder.
We really hope that your child enjoys this challenge, and I would love to hear what books your child has chosen to read so that I can come up with a new challenge based on new books next summer. Thank you for sharing this post with others.