I’m was born in New England. We spent our summers at the beach and I was introduced to wonderful, tasty seafood as a young child.
I’ve always had a love for Manhattan Clam Chowder but never could honestly develop a love for any homemade Manhattan clam chowder recipe until my mom whipped up this easy Manhattan Clam Chowder recipe one evening this summer.
My kids even enjoyed it. Of course, I didn’t tell them there were clams in the soup until after dinner was over.
- 4 slices of bacon,
- 1 t of dried thyme
- 1 c of onion, finely diced
- 1/2 c of celery, diced
- 4 c of potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 c of carrots, shredded
- 5 c of water, hot
- 3 t of sea salt
- 1 t of pepper
- 14 oz can of tomato paste
- 5 (8 oz) cans of clams, minced
- 3 c of clam liquid from cans
- 1 t parsley
- 1 t thyme
- In large pot, saute’ bacon until crisp, removed from pot
- Stir in 1 t of thyme, onion, and celery and cook until tender
- Add water, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper and clam liquid
- Simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes on low heat
- Add tomato paste, simmer for 20 minutes
- Add clams, parsley, and 1 t thyme, simmer for 15 minutes
- Serve with crumbled bacon on top of soup
TIP: Use water if you can not get a total of 3 c of clam liquid
It’s so simple.
I recommend doubling the easy Manhattan clam chowder recipe and freezing it for a later date. In fact, I do this we all my soup recipes. I freeze my soup in ziplock bags and lay them flat in the freezer. I simply defrost the soup in the refrigerator the night before. I just place the soup in my slow cooker on low before I leave for work.
Print this Easy Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe
Easy Manhattan Clam Chowder
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1 c onion finely diced
- 1/2 c celery diced
- 4 c potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 c carrots shredded
- 5 c hot water
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 can tomato paste 14 oz
- 5 cans clams minced
- 3 c clam liquid use water if you are short on clam liquid
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp thyme dried
Saute bacon in large pot and remove from pot
Stir in 1 t of thyme, onions, and celery and cook until tender
Add water, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, and clam liquid and simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes
Add tomato paste and simmer for 20 minutes
Add clams, parsley, and 1 t of thyme and simmer for 10 minutes
Serve with crumbled bacon on top
Be sure to try our other hearty easy soup recipes.
The best homemade Chicken Noodle Soup from scratch
Chicken Enchilada Soup – one of my favorite soup recipes
I encourage you to take our soup challenge this Fall and Winter. Your family will thank you.
Please let us know how you enjoyed this easy Manhattan Clam Chowder recipe and if you tweaked it to fit your taste buds. Enjoy!