Our family looks forward to enjoying our Irish Soda Bread with our St. Patrick’s Day meal each year.
I have no idea why I only make once a year.
How to Make Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 4 c of flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1T baking powder
- 1t salt
- 1t baking soda
- 1/3 c margarine or butter
- 2 c seedless raisins (optional)
- 1 T caraway seed
- 1 1/2 c buttermilk or sour milk (I add a touch of vinegar to milk)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Blend together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Cut in the butter until mixture resembles course meal.
- Add raisins, caraway seed, buttermilk, and egg; stir until blended.
- Knead on flour board until smooth about 1 minute.
- Shape dough into 2 balls and place in 2 greased 8 in. round pans.
- Flatten to fill pans.
- Cut a deep cross on top of each loaf.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.